Giving an old vanity a makeover for a farmhouse look wasn’t the easiest project we’ve tackled, but with our persistence of sanding, stripping, priming, and painting, the piece looks fabulous now!
This post may contain affiliate links. Across the Blvd uses affiliate links (including Amazon). If you make a purchase, I may be compensated at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting our blog! Please see our Disclosure Policy for more information.
Putting together a farmhouse look for their master bedroom is a work in progress for Gloria and Georges. This vanity is a gorgeous addition to the room.
Farmhouse Vanity Makeover
I’m happy to again join the monthly Thrift Store Challenge group! Each month participants are challenged to:
- Upcycle an item(s) from a thrift store, resale store, or garage sale into a new piece of decor.
- There’s no monthly theme.
- There’s no budget to stick to.
Meet the Hosts
Angela | Simply Beautiful By Angela – Pili | My Sweet Things
Beverly | Across the Blvd – Gail | Purple Hues and Me –
Chas | Chas’ Crazy Creations – Michelle | Our Craft Mom
– Meredith | Thriftwood Home –
Kathleen | Our Hopeful Home –Jenny | Cookies Coffee and Crafts
Gloria had been keeping her eye out for a vanity that she liked that could be reworked to go with her bedroom decor. She found this one through Facebook Market Place for $35.00. It was in pretty rough condition as you can see from the ad photo below. But, it had the curves and the style that was looking for.
After buying it and bringing it to their place, George removed the mirror and the pedestals that go on either side of it. We used CitriStrip Paint and Varnish Remover (affiliate) to remove the layers of paint. The vanity had most recently been painted white, but there was a layer of pink paint beneath that, and then some varnish on the wood.
We started this project back in November using the gel remover. But then the weather turned cold and continuing to use the gel wasn’t an option for finishing it. That meant it was time to sand.
Sanding an Old Vanity
I used my Palm Sander (affiliate) for the smooth surfaces of the vanity. it worked well on the top and sides.
It did take a couple of hours to get it to this point. This was definitely a labor intensive project!
With the weather getting colder during December, I decided to take it to my house to work on it in my garage. I continued using the palm sander on all of the spots that I could. I was left with lots of areas that were curved and spindly. I used 60 grit sand paper and sanding blocks to get as much off as possible.
Use Scraping Tools and Wire Brushes to Remove Old Paint
The legs were the most difficult areas to work on. I used a paint scraper with some success, but was left with some of the pink paint that was stubborn.
I’m not going to lie, it was frustrating! I had hours and hours of time invested in the project, but I was about ready to scream “I quit” after slowly scrapping away and hand sanding the legs and the curves. I found an assortment of wire brushes in the garage and decided to give them a try. They worked much better than the scraper.
After I finally had the paint removed, I re-sanded the smooth surfaces and cleaned it up with TSP and wiped it off with a lint free cloth to get it ready to be primed. At this point, my work on the vanity was done! It went back to Gloria’s place.
Using Kilz Oil Based Primer (affiliate) Gloria and Georges primed the vanity. When Gloria sent this photo to me, I thought he sure looks happier than I did while working on this!
Even though the vanity is solid wood, using an oil based instead of a water based primer helped to make sure that any odors were eliminated.
Once it had been primed and left to dry for 24 hours, it was ready to be painted. They used Behr Ultra Stain Blocking Paint. It wasn’t necessary to use the combination paint + primer, but it doesn’t hurt. After looking through tons of gray paint choices, they chose Natural Gray. It was a great choice I think! They both worked on painting it using foam paint rollers. Once they finished painting it and letting it dry overnight, they gave it two coats of Minwax Polycryllic with foam rollers to protect the paint.
After all of the sanding, scraping, priming, and painting the end result is one that looks beautiful!
Georges reattached the mirror and the spindles to the base of the vanity.
Gloria replaced the hardware (affiliate) that was on the vanity when they bought it with a more stylish look. It came as a ten pack, so she has extra pulls that she can use on other furniture pieces for the room.Give and old vanity a makeover for farmhouse bedroom decor. #farmhouse #vanitymakeover #paintedfurniture #thriftstorechallenge Click To Tweet
Supply List for Vanity Makeover
- CitriStrip Paint and Varnish Remover
- Pam Sander and Sanding Pads
- 60 Grit Sand Paper and Sanding Block
- Scraping Tools
- Wire Brushes
- Lint Free Cloth
- TSP Cleaner
- Oil Based Primer
- Foam Paint Rollers
This is such a pretty addition to their bedroom and it goes well with the farmhouse look that Gloria loves for their home. With its deep drawers and lots of surface space, it’s also a practical and functional piece for Gloria to use as her makeup area. She’s still on the hunt for a stool that goes better with it than the gray chair, but the chair works for now.
Pin Me, Please!
Vanity Makeover for a Farmhouse Look
Beverly shares easy, inexpensive craft tutorials, diy projects for the home, coastal decor projects, & thrift store find makeover projects all designed to help you create a beautiful home on a budget.