I used mostly dollar store items to make this Red Truck and Buffalo Check DIY Ornament. Everyone loves buffalo check and when you combine that with the little vintage truck, you’ve got a fun DIY ornament for your tree!
This month, our blogging group’s challenge was to create a craft using mostly items from the dollar store. Since I love dollar store decorating, I always look forward to this one.
Meet this month’s co-hosts!
Be sure to check out their dollar store crafts at the end of this post!
Across the Blvd uses affiliate links (including Amazon). If you make a purchase, I may be compensated at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting our blog! Please see our Disclosure Policy for more information.
Red Truck and Buffalo Check DIY Ornament
Supplies Used to Make Red Truck Christmas Ornament
- Truck Ornament
- Faux Greenery
- Craft Wood oval
- White Paint & Sponge Brush
- Buffalo Check Fabric
- Wire Cutters
- Rotary Fabric Cutter
- Spray Adhesive
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue
- Cricut Air Explore 2
- Vinyl and Transfer Paper
When I spotted the little red truck ornaments and sleigh ornament at Dollar Tree, I knew I wanted to use them to make my own ornament. I removed the greenery from the small silver sleigh to use for this and saved the sleigh for another project. I didn’t use the red ribbon pictured here, but instead used a heavy piece of twine that was attached to a dollar store sign that I had in my craft stash. All of the other items I used were from my craft stash, too.
Putting the DIY Double Sided Ornament Together
- Paint one side of unfinished wood oval using 2 coats of paint, allowing drying time between each coat
- Remove the wire hanger from the red truck ornament
- Remove the tree from the truck
- Trim the back of the tree so that it will sit flush against the oval
While the paint is drying, use Cricut Design Space to create the year or phrase to go on one side of the ornament. You could also use vinyl stick ons that can be found a most dollar stores.
- Spray adhesive on the unpainted side of the wood oval
- Place buffalo check fabric, face side up, on the oval and smooth out any bubbles
- Use a rotary fabric cutter to trim the fabric to fit the oval
- Use a strip of twine to make a loop for hanging.
- Hot glue the twine to the center of the buffalo check
- Remove the greenery from the sleigh ornament or use any small piece of Christmas greenery
- Use a small dot of hot glue to attach the greenery on top of the twine
- Press down and hold until it’s secure
- Use hot glue to attach the truck to the oval
- After trimming the back of the tree, glue it in place on the truck
I love double sided ornaments for my tree and this one was easy and inexpensive to make.
Don’t you love using dollar store items to create one of a kind ornaments? I sure do!
Pin Me, Please!
DIY Red Truck and Buffalo Check Christmas Ornament
Click below for more dollar store crafts from my blogging friends!