Peach Cobbler is one of my all time favorite desserts. If I don’t choose a chocolate treat, then chances are I’ll choose peach cobbler. It’s sweet and gooey and served warm right out of the oven, it’s hard to beat for a classic southern comfort food.
Peach Cobbler is a staple in just about every southern kitchen. It’s one of those foods that reminds me of growing up with a wonderful cook for a mother. She credits her skills from all the things she learned from my grandmother, her mother in law, not her own mother. For that, we were all thankful! One of my grandmothers was an excellent cook, the other one, ummm, not so much.
I’ve taken my grandmother’s recipe for peach cobbler and used a short cut. I substitute the fresh peaches with canned peaches. Now, that’s not something either my mother or my grandmother would have done, but it works for me and it still has a wonderful taste. Plus, you can enjoy it year round, not just during peach season.
PRINTABLE RECIPE FOR PEACH COBBLER
- 2 15 oz cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup
- 1 cup of milk (whole milk is best)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of self rising flour
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place butter in 9 X 13 baking dish
- Place dish in oven until butter is melted
- Remove dish from oven
- Combine sugar, milk and flour in large mixing bowl, stir
- Drain one can of peaches and add syrup to the sugar/flour mixture, stir
- Slowly pour mixture over butter
- Drain the other can of peaches and save the syrup
- Spoon the peaches from both cans onto the mixture, but don’t stir
- Slowly, pour juice from the second can of peaches over the top
- Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Bake for one hour or until top is golden
Using canned peaches cuts out the time it takes to peel, slice and cook fresh peaches. I’m all for time saving cooking methods if I still get the taste I want.
This is often served with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream, but it’s wonderful without any additional topping.
It’s a dish full of deliciousness!
If you’re looking for an easy recipe that sure to please, this one is for you!
We party with some awesome bloggers. We’ll be sharing at lots of these great parties.