Do you love handmade ornaments? I do! I always enjoy creating them either for our trees or to give as gifts. This No Sew Buffalo Check Pillow Ornament for a Cozy Cabin Tree is easy to make and will look great on a tree with natural elements and woodland ornaments.
Across the Blvd uses affiliate links (including Amazon). If you make a purchase, I may be compensated at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting our blog! Please see our Disclosure Policy for more information.
Making DIY Ornaments is a wonderful way to fill your tree with unique pieces. When guests are admiring your tree, how fun is it to say “Oh, you like that one? Thanks! I made it!”No Sew DIY Buffalo Check Double Sided Christmas Ornament | Easy to make ornament #buffalocheck #diyornament #2019ornamentexchange #easyornament Click To Tweet
DIY No Sew Pillow Ornament for a Cozy Cabin Tree
The 2019 Ornament Exchange Link Party kicks off today and 38 bloggers are sharing their handmade ornaments. You’re invited to share your handmade tutorials at the party, too!
This year, I was delighted to be paired again with Maureen, from Red Cottage Chronicles. Maureen and I exchanged ornaments a couple of years ago. That year, I made a No Sew Quilted Fabric Ornament for her.
Maureen let me know that this year, in addition to her traditional tree, she’ll also be decorating one with a cozy cabin look to it. When I think of a cozy cabin, I think of roaring fires, lots of warm blankets, and soft, comfy pillows. As I thought about how to create an ornament to go with that design, I decided to make a pillow ornament using buffalo check fabric. I hope she likes it!
Supplies Used for DIY Pillow Ornament
- Buffalo Check Fabric – I found both fabrics at Walmart in 1.5 yard packs
- Deer Print Fabric
- Red Rickrack Trim
- Measuring Tape
- Hot Glue Gun and Sticks
Step by Step Guide for Making a No Sew Pillow Ornament
- Measure tulle and cut it to the desired size
- Lay the tulle down and add polyfil to it
- Wrap the tulle around the polyfil and tie off
- Trim excess tulle to create a pillow
- Cut the fabric to desired size and place it face down
- Add the polyfil pillow and fold the fabric over it in the way you’d wrap a present – pin it in place
- Add a few tiny drops of hot glue to secure the fabric
- Cut a strip of rickrack or ribbon to size and wrap it around the center of the pillow – pin in place
- Measure and cut a square of the deer print fabric
- Fold the edges in and hot glue them down to have crisp edges
- Add hot glue to the back of the fabric square and position it onto the back of the ornament
- Make a twine rosette and glue in place
Adding Finishing Touches for No Sew Pillow Ornament
To make the ornament look like a cozy throw pillow, I made a couple of twine rosettes to add to it. To make these, you simply wrap the twine in a circle and add a tiny bit of hot glue to hold it together. In addition to the one on the back of the ornament, I placed one on the center front.
I always like to create double sided ornaments and with this one, it needed embellishments on the front and back, like sofa pillows often have. This No Sew Buffalo Check Pillow Ornament for a Cozy Cabin Tree looks great from either side. I hope that it fits in well on Maureen’s tree!
Pin Me, Please!
No Sew Buffalo Check Pillow Ornament
Be sure to stop by the 2019 Ornament Exchange Link Party for lots of inspiration!