Handmade Christmas ornaments are always special. Whether it’s an ornament that’s been crafted by a child, a diy ornament for your own tree, or as a gift, the ornaments that are one of kind are some of my favorites. Today, I’m sharing an easy no sew felt and ribbon ornament that can be made in under 30 minutes with only a few supplies.
This is the fourth year that I’ve participated in an ornament exchange for the holidays that Erlene from My Pinterventures coordinates. I look forward to this every year. It’s fun to create an ornament for a blogging friend and to receive one for our tree, too. This year, I have the pleasure of being partnered with Erlene! After exchanging particulars about our trees and what colors we like and ones we’d like to avoid, I had an idea in mind for her ornament. Erlene mentioned that red, gold, and white are her preferred colors. As I was buying supplies for the ornament I kept that in mind and managed to use all three of those in the ornament.
How to Make an Easy No Sew Felt and Ribbon Ornament
Making this ornament is easy and if you can pin fabric to a Styrofoam ball, you’ll be all set to make one!
- 3″ Styrofoam Ball
- Red Felt
- White Felt
- Star Template
- Elongated Oval Template
- 2 colors of ribbon in varying widths
- Rickrack Trim
- Pearl Head Pins
- Straight Pins
- Gold Beads
I’ve seen similar ornaments on Pinterest over the years and I’ve even pinned a few of them thinking they would be great to make. I didn’t follow any particular tutorial. I just made it up as I went along based on how I wanted this one to turn out.
Steps to make a Felt and Ribbon Ornament
- After gathering your supplies, make a template for an elongated oval. If you’re using a three inch ball, the length of the oval will need to be long enough to go from the center top to the center bottom. You’ll also need a star template. I searched for a free clipart star on line and found one that worked. I printed it on card stock to use as a template.
- Find the center point of the ball and pin one oval at its tip. Pin the oval to the bottom of the ball, too. Add a second oval opposite of the first and pin.
- Repeat with two more ovals, covering the remainder of the ball. There will be gaps, but those will be covered by ribbon.
- Pin widest ribbon around the center of the ball and add a second piece of the ribbon around the center the opposite way.
- Pin narrow ribbon onto the top center of the ball in between the wider ribbon. Pin a second piece of narrow ribbon around the opposite way.
- Pin rickrack on top of narrow ribbon.
- Place the felt star on top of the ball, centering over the spot where the ribbons meet. Pin the points of the star with pearl head pins.
- Add pearl head pins down the center of the star.
- Continue adding pins along the outside edge of the star. Add a line of pins from the center to each point.
- Place a straight head pin through a bead and add to the center of the star.
I added one more gold bead to the center and one on back of the ornament to cover the cross over of the ribbon. I also added a loop using the white rickrack for hanging the ornament. The rickrack is pinned together into the ball and topped with two gold beads on another pin.
Last year I made a no sew quilted ornament and while I was very happy with how it turned out, it was time consuming to make. Finding a way to create another no sew fabric ornament that is much easier and quicker to make was great. I hope that Erlene will like it!
Pin Me, Please!
Easy No Sew Felt and Ribbon Ornament
Make an easy no sew felt & ribbon ornament for Christmas. #HandmadeOrnament #FeltandRibbonOrnament #OrnamentExchange2018 Click To Tweet
We share at lots of thesegreat parties!
Want to get the latest from Across the Blvd?
Sign up below to receive our posts and newsletters via email!
If you’re a blogger, you’re invited to share you handmade Christmas Ornaments at the Ornament Link Party! The party will be open through December 15. There’s sure to be lots of inspiration for everyone!