Gloria had been on the hunt for a large dresser for a while now. She spotted one recently at one of our favorite stores, Charleston Attic Mall. If you’re ever in Charleston, it’s a great place to visit to just browse or find great prices on lots of used furniture, collectibles and unique items. She knew what style she wanted and she was happy to find one in that style. It was the wrong color and in need of some minor repairs, but that just meant that it would be a great project!
I think what really sold her on this piece was the scallop at the bottom. It is pretty and with all those drawers, it will give her the storage she needs. It’s sturdy and well built. But, the white paint and brass knobs are not her style at all.
When I pulled the drawers out, I discovered that several of the metal tracks were a little out of whack. I showed them to my husband and asked for advice on how to fix them. That’s a good way of asking for a little help! He removed them and all they needed were some new screws to have them fit snugly in place.
I removed all the hardware and cleaned up the longer pulls with Bar Keeper’s Friend. That works great to polish brass. Gloria chose to keep those since she has a lot of gold accent pieces in her bedroom. The brass knobs were set aside, maybe to be repurposed for something later. Gloria found Geo Mineral Knobs from World Market that she loves. They give the piece a unique look. Isn’t this pretty? She selected five of them that are all just a bit different while having the same coloring.
The top of the dresser was in need of some repairing. The last coat of paint it got covered lots of bubbles and dents.
It was quite a mess!
The very first step was to try to smooth out the top of the dresser. I used my palm sander to remove the paint and to sand it down to a smooth surface to paint. It took about 30 minutes to get rid of all of those bubbles.
Gloria chose Espresso Beans from Behr in satin as the paint color. It has a nice, dark, rich look to it and matches her other bedroom furniture nicely. It’s paint and primer in one, so I got busy painting.
The coverage was great and after one coat, the dresser was looking so much better. I allowed it to dry overnight and gave it a second coat the next day.
The dresser had two key hole pieces attached to it. I used spray paint to change them to gold.
I let it dry overnight again and then gave it two coats of Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish. I made sure to avoid brushing it on too thickly. I let the first coat dry for about three hours and it was ready for a second coat.
After the hardware was reattached and the drawers put back in place, the dresser was ready for its trip to Gloria’s place.
She styled it using some gold accent pieces.
The new look for the dresser gives it an updated look that is much more Gloria’s style. She loves it and I’m happy that it turned out the way she wanted it.
[Tweet “Dresser Makeover~Updated look for an old dresser. #BEHRPaint, #WorldMarket”]
Beverly shares easy, inexpensive craft tutorials, diy projects for the home, coastal decor projects, & thrift store find makeover projects all designed to help you create a beautiful home on a budget.