This dollar store pumpkin makeover with frayed ribbon is an easy way to turn plain pumpkins into pretty decor pieces for fall. Use frayed ribbon and twine to easily create a shabby chic pumpkin. These go well with coastal, farmhouse, and shabby chic decor.
Across the Blvd uses affiliate links (including Amazon). If you make a purchase, I may be compensated at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting our blog! Please see our Disclosure Policy for more information.
There are so many ways you can dress up a plain pumpkin. I love simple ways to turn dollar store items into pretty decor. Making these pumpkins is a quick and easy fall craft.
Dollar Store Pumpkin Makeover with Frayed Ribbon
My friend, Michelle, from Our Crafty Mom recently shared How to Make Beautiful DIY Dollar Store Velvet Pumpkins and they are gorgeous! I was inspired to make my own ribbon pumpkins with that go well with my coastal cottage decor in my sun room.
Supplies Used for Ribbon Wrapped Dollar Store Pumpkins
- Foam pumpkins
- Frayed ribbon
- Wine Corks
- Jewelry Wire
- Ribbon for leaves
- Hot Glue
- Wood Dowel
- Wire Cutter
- Craft Knife
I’ve used these black pumpkins from the Dollar Tree for Halloween decor, but they were due for a makeover. It doesn’t matter what color your pumpkins are because they will be completely covered with ribbon. The French print frayed ribbon was on the clearance aisle at Walmart over the summer.
Steps for making ribbon wrapped pumpkins
- Remove the stem from the pumpkin
- Use a crafting knife to cut out a hole in the center top
- Measure and cut the frayed ribbon to wrap around the pumpkin
- Cut the ends of the ribbon into points
- Add hot glue to the points of the ribbon and insert into the hole
- Use a wood dowel to press it down to avoid finger burns
- Continue adding ribbon strips, overlapping as you go
- Measure and cut strips of twine to go around the pumpkin
- Glue the twine to the top of pumpkin and wrap around the indentations of the pumpkin
- Glue the other end of the ribbon to the top
- Cut leaf shapes from matching ribbon or fabric
- Glue the wine cork on top of the pumpkin
- Attach the leaf with hot glue or ball head pin
- Curl jewelry wire – I used a paint brush handle
- Use jewelry cutters to snip the wire
- Glue the wire to the top of the pumpkin
These are super simple to make and I love that it only takes a few minutes to make them. Any ribbon that you love can be used to match your fall decor.
Simple, inexpensive, and quick pumpkin makeover
Keeping seasonal decor items budget friendly is a great way to add to your decor for very little money. That’s always a good thing!
Pin Me, Please!
Dollar Store Pumpkin Makeover with Ribbon
How have you used dollar store pumpkins? I’d love to read about them. If you’re a blogger, share them at Snickerdoodle Link Party(open Saturday through Tuesday) and/or Beautifully Made Link Party(open Tuesday through Thursday).