We are excited to be a part of the May Centsational Salvage Challenge brought to us by Erica from On Bliss Street, Jason from East Coast Upcyclers, and Timisha from Toolbox Divas. This is such a great challenge. DIYers are challenged to spend no more than $15.00 and to shop at Habitat for Humanity’s Restore. This month’s challenge item was chairs.
Erica from On Bliss Street
Christie from Sparkles of Sunshine
Beverly & Gloria from Across the Blvd
Jason from East Coast Upcyclers
Jess from Live Randomly Simple
Timisha from Toolbox Divas
Naomi & Sage from Plaster and Disaster
Candice from Beauty For Ashes
Adreanna from Life In Our Nomad
Along with these incredible bloggers, I took the challenge! Unfortunately, Gloria has been so pressed for time lately, that she was not able to participate. I visited one of our local Habitat Restores and was on the hunt for an inexpensive chair that needed some attention. I had a vague idea of what kind of chair I wanted, but I wasn’t sure if I would find it.
For a while, I’ve been planning on buying a vanity chair for my bathroom. Currently, I have a small stool, with no back, that’s black. It doesn’t match anything in the room. The only thing it’s got going for it is that it folds up and can be put away into the closet.
I like the idea of being able to store the chair out of the way when I’m not using it, so I was on the look-out for some kind of folding chair. I was super happy to find one that I knew could work perfectly.
Keeping in mind that the challenge is to spend no more than $15.00 for the total project, I wasn’t sure if spending $10.00 on the chair would leave me enough money to redo it with what I had in mind. But, what’s the point of calling it a challenge if you’re not ready to find a way to meet the challenge, right?
I purchased the chair, brought it home and began the process of cleaning it. I was glad to find that it was sturdy and the screws just needed a little bit of tightening. It was pretty well worn though.
I used TSP to thoroughly clean it and then used some medium grit sand paper to get rid of a lot of the discoloration.
Because I couldn’t get rid of all of those black spots, I decided to give it one coat of spray primer. That’s something I always have on hand, so no additional cost here.
That did the trick and it was ready for its first coat of chalk paint. I found a recipe for DIY Chalk Paint recently that I love. It’s so much cheaper than brand name chalk paint and I’ve been pleased with the results I get. It’s easy to mix, but I only mix up as much as I can use at the time. I have some very small pails that I use for this. I had the Plaster of Paris and the paint, so I was still at $10.00. Yay for inexpensive alternatives!
After the first coat dried, I gave it a second one. Once it was completely dry which takes less than 30 minutes, I used Mini Wax Polycrylic Protective Spray Finish. I’ve used this with success for other projects and it was something I had on hand, too.
After cleaning, priming and painting, the chair was now something that I could use, but it looked very plain and boring. I wanted to give it some color and make it more comfortable to sit on as well. I looked though several old cushions I have to see if any of them would work, but they were all too thick. Then, I remembered that last year I bought a two pack of foam cushions and I only used one of them.
I was expecting to have to cut it down to size, but it actually fit perfectly. All it needed was to be covered with some fabric that would match my bathroom. Checking through my stash of cloth remnants was not a success. Pulling up my email coupons from JoAnn’s Fabric and Craft gave me just what I needed-a 50% off coupon.
I found some fabric that I loved, in the color I needed and it was $4.99 per yard. With my coupon, it was only $2.50. Perfect!
Now, this is where I would love to be able to say I quickly sewed a lovely cover for my foam cushion. But, sewing is not something that I can put on my crafting resume! I can’t sew at all, but I can wrap a very pretty present.
I measured the fabric, centered the cushion and wrapped it up just like I would wrap a boxed gift.
I used fabric glue to secure it to the foam. Every non-seamstress has fabric glue on hand!
I needed to secure the cushion to the chair so that it wouldn’t fall off when I fold it up, but I didn’t want it to be permanently attached. Using velcro squares solved that problem. Velcro is also found in every non-seamstress’ craft stash. I added a small strip to each corner to hold the cushion in place.
And there you have it. My Centsational Salvage Project came in at a total cost of $12.50. I actually think the chair was a bit over priced, but I didn’t mind paying that price, knowing that proceeds from the sales at the Habitat Restore go to such a wonderful cause.
The finished chair looks nice in my bathroom and will be easy to use and store away when I want to open up the space.
I was happy to participate in the May Cent-Sational Salvage Challenge and since I was already in need of a new vanity chair, the challenge was a great one for me. I can’t wait to see all of the other submissions and I’m sure you’ll want to see them too!
[Tweet “CentSational Salvage Challenge~Folding Chair Makeover #ItsCentsational”]
Materials On Hand:
Plaster of Paris
Polycrylic Spray Finish
You can vote for your favorite(s) from the May CentSational Salvage Challenge here.
Beverly shares easy, inexpensive craft tutorials, diy projects for the home, coastal decor projects, & thrift store find makeover projects all designed to help you create a beautiful home on a budget.